You’ve succeeded in buying a motorhome that is perfect for you and your family, and you’re ready to head off but there is one more thing you need to have in place before setting off.
You need motorhome insurance to protect your vehicle and your family from any problems or accidents. Don’t know where to start? Read on:
Why do I need motorhome insurance?
Like all other vehicles, insuring your motorhome is a legal requirement – you have to do it! But aside from that, you don't want your trip ruined by an accident, loss, theft or any other damage. The right motorhome insurance policy will protect you against all eventualities.
What should my motorhome insurance policy cover?
To make sure you have the correct cover, you need to determine what could possibly go wrong and what you need to happen if it does. You then need to buy a policy that makes the right thing happen.
Here are some things to consider when looking at a policy:
- Being in an accident – be covered for everything from a small scratch to a more serious collision.
- Replacing windscreens – the most common incident.
- Needing recovery – breaking down is stressful as it is without a big question mark over getting your vehicle recovered and repaired.
- Vandalism or accidental damage to your motorhome
- Theft and break in – someone has broken in and stolen personal items, or stolen the vehicle itself. Make sure you’re covered.
- Paying legal fees – if you find yourself in a legal dispute your policy can be the safety net you need.
- Travelling in Europe – getting into an accident in the UK is a complication, but on the continent, even more so. With Brexit uncertainty also looming over travel into the EU now is the time to make sure any motorhome insurance policy covers you for anything that might happen when driving in Europe.
Also, think about who will be driving the vehicle. If you plan to share the driving with others, you all need to be covered by your policy. Make sure everyone who is travelling is covered.
Motorhome insurance options
You might be able to get away with a Third Party policy (the legal minimum requirement in the UK) which covers you if you cause injury to other people or damage their vehicles. Third Party Fire and Theft builds on this to protect you if your vehicle is damaged, stolen or destroyed in a fire.
It is often the right choice to opt for Comprehensive cover. As the highest level of policy available, it will cover you for most things you can think of including everything mentioned above plus medical expenses, cover on accidental damage and theft of the vehicle's contents.
While it might look like the cheapest option, remember that a Third Party policy does not cover you for any damage to your own vehicle and does not cover any injuries or theft in the package. In the long run, this type of policy could end up being more expensive if something goes wrong.
Many providers specialise in specific insurance policies for motorhome owners. Insurance companies tend to offer a wide range of different policies, so do your research into what each policy offers. Be careful when looking at specialist providers, as motorhome insurance requires some specialist knowledge to properly navigate what is on offer.
The policy you ultimately go for will be down to your circumstances and the budget you have to work with. If you are unsure about the level of cover for how you want to use your motorhome you should contact a broker who is an expert in motorhome finance and insurance to discuss your options.